Friday, September 16, 2011

Days 3 + 4 - Without a sink




Coffee/caffeine have not really been on my mind the past few days, but here's something that has...

My dad came up to visit for a few days this week and he noticed that my bathroom sink was breaking under its own weight. It had become a safety hazard. I had to fix my sink. I got into my car, drove to the nearest Home Depot, grabbed my cart and walked to the "bathroom" section of the store. Before me was an entire aisle of bathroom sinks. I strolled the aisle and found the one that would fit best. The best part, it was only $70.00. Sink, cabinet, faucet and matching mirror. Great deal.

We drove back, adjusted the pipes and and slid the new cabinet into place. A few hours went by and we discovered .... I had a leak in my new sink and we didn't have the fitting we needed to fix it. Which meant .... no sink. For the past two days, my kitchen sink has worked double duty.

As of 10 o'clock this evening, I have a brand new sink that works perfectly ... for under $100.00.

According to Charitywater.org, "In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year just walking for water. Women and children usually bear the burden of water collection, walking miles to the nearest source, which is unprotected and likely to make them sick."

For the past two days, I would walk the additional 15 steps, to use the sink in my kitchen. In comparison to what 1 billion people do everyday just to have water (not even clean water), is astonishing. Charity:water works to build wells for entire communities to have clean water, within every village.

Check out Charity:water - sponsor a well, to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment